Tuesday, May 24, 2011

not the only gay in the village

In a little more than 28 months I've only seen one lesbian couple holding hands in public in my home town - they were German tourists and not locals. [Oddly enough, they mistook me for a guy. I heard one of the women say to her girlfriend "Mensch, ist der braun" meaning "man, look how tanned he is".] Since it was high season the promenades and sidewalks were packed with people. While some individuals (locals) looked at them in shock, awe and disbelief as if they had seen an alien, most people (tourists) didn't even notice them or they didn't seem to care.

The majority of the local gays and lesbians in my town appear to be afraid of their own shadow. Some of them seem to be hiding behind big dark sunglasses that they're wearing even in winter when it's cloudy and rainy. One could compare them to little scared animals that would probably flee in panic if someone approached them. So far only one young gay woman has smiled at me when she saw me waiting in a line at a supermarket. Back then I had no idea that she's gay - I figured that out a lot later. :D Since then I've walked past her and her (girl-)friend [?] a couple of times - we were in a hurry and heading in opposite directions. She looked friendly and interested both of the times but she never said "hi" or anything like that to me. I overheard her telling her friend "that's the girl I've ..." when they were passing me by. Judging from her reaction, her friend (whom I would describe as soft butch who's sporting an assymetrical alternative lifestyle haircut) didn't seem to be interested in me at all. I mean, what was I supposed to do? Stop them in their tracks and say something stupid like "hi, I'm gay, too", "hi, yes, I'm a dyke in case you're still wondering which I highly doubt" or "great to see that I'm not only lesbian around here"?

No comments:

Post a Comment